How are weather decisions made at BA-CFA?

Dear Bulldog Families,

I am sure that the following question popped into your head at some point today:  How are weather decisions made at BA-CFA?

Because we serve students from more than just Transylvania County, I monitor weather, road conditions, and closings in  Buncombe County and Henderson County as well.  It is never an easy decision or exact science when determining if we should close or delay school.  However, in order to make sure that all of our staff members are safe and that families can make necessary arrangements, I try to make the decision as early as possible.

In the case of the our closing today, the three major school systems had all reported that they were closing as of 5:45 am due to the threat of hazardous road conditions.  Many local municipalities were also delaying or closing due to the threat of hazardous weather.  Using this information along with the forecast that the roadways would become most hazardous at 7:00 am just as buses, staff members and parents were traveling to school, I made the decision to close school.

Weather predictions in the mountains can be a challenge as today certainly proved.  However, I will always err on the side of student and staff safety.

As of January 8, 2018 we do not need to make up any of the missed time.  I will be reviewing our school calendar with our accounting firm to make sure we have the required number of hours.  In the event that we need to make changes to our school calendar, I will update you as early as possible.

In the event of bad weather prior to the start of the school day, please use the following information sources for broadcasts regarding closing or delayed schedules for opening:

WLOS Channel 13

WYFF Channel 4

WSPA Channel 7

WSQL AM 1240

Blackboard Connect

School Website: brevard.teamcfa.org

www.facebook.com/brevardCFA

Thank you again for your understanding and support.

Best,

Ted Duncan
School Director